Table of Contents
Nobody wants to return home to a house smelling like a sewer and with dirty water backing up in the bathtub. If you notice any of the following symptoms, it could indicate sewer line damage:
- Slow-draining sinks or tubs
- Foul odor inside your home, resembling a gassy smell
Causes of Sewer Line Damage
Understanding the common causes of sewer line damage is essential to prevent further complications. Here are the main factors contributing to sewer damage:
- Blockages: The leading cause of sewer damage is blockages within the pipes. Clogs can occur due to the buildup of grease, soap scum, and other sticky waste. To prevent this, avoid pouring oily substances down the drain, and consider using a unit for disposing of food scraps.
- Obstacles: Items that should not be flushed down the toilet, such as excess toilet paper, paper towels, and sanitary items, can clog the drains. This can lead to backups and potentially crack the sewer pipes. Be mindful of what you flush to avoid this issue.
- Tree Roots: Planting trees too close to your home can result in sewer line damage. Tree roots can wrap around waste pipes and exploit the moisture within, causing blockages and pipe damage.
Professional Assistance for Top Sewer Damage Causes
While some sewer damage issues require professional intervention, it is crucial to be aware of these causes:
- Normal Wear and Tear: Over time, corrosion and accumulation can occur within the sewer lines. Shifting and movement of the earth beneath your home may also lead to cracks and displacement of the pipes.
- City Sanitary Back-ups: Municipal sewer systems can become blocked, leading to sewage overflow into waste lines. In such cases, contacting your local authorities or a professional plumber is necessary.
This post was written by Joey Denick. Joey is the Owner and Operator of Clog Kings. At Clog Kings, LLC, we pride ourselves on our dedication and efficiency. We know you don’t have time to waste. That’s why we work fast to get your home or commercial building back up and running in no time. If you are looking for plumbers Clearwater FL then look no further because we got you covered!