Table of Contents
RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK – The search to fill thousands of open jobs across the Triangle continues with LinkedIn saying there are now more than 57,000 open positions.
But another site – Adzuna – lists even more, topping 59,000. And the list goes on.
WRAL TechWire is tracking the Triangle’s job trends as the region continues its economic recovery. Our weekly Jobs Report compiles the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring and for what positions. We’ve also included upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings.
‘Job seekers are in the driver’s seat:’ Recruiter warns workforce is changing
Let’s highlight what’s new on the job boards since last week’s Jobs Report:
National Job Boards
National job boards show thousands of opportunities in the Triangle:
- Adzuna: 32,229 jobs in Wake County, 16,633 in Raleigh and 10,978 in Durham County
- Dice.com (using the 5-mile radius filter): 12,498 jobs in Raleigh, 12,233 in Durham and 12,014 in Chapel Hill
- Glassdoor: 43,973 jobs across the Triangle area
- Indeed (5-mile radius filter): 12,423 jobs in Raleigh, 6,350 in Durham and 3,406 in Chapel Hill
- InHerSight: Pages upon pages of jobs across the RTP area
- LinkedIn (using the “exact location” filter): 57,243 jobs in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area, including 24,663 in Raleigh, 12,052 in Durham and 2,384 in Chapel Hill
- Manpower (20-mile radius): 13 jobs in Raleigh, 13 in Durham and 12 in Chapel Hill
- Remote Tech Jobs: Several remote jobs offered by Triangle-area employers
- ZipRecruiter (5-mile filter): More than 32,861 jobs in Raleigh, 15,461 in Durham and 4,685 in Chapel Hill
Startup Job Search Sites
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (274 startup jobs near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (1,395 results in and around Raleigh), Indeed (315 startup jobs in/near RTP), and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina).
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle — serving over 470 members. AMA Triangle provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals. Every month, it hosts a free “Transitions Mastermind” program for job seekers and those seeking advice on career improvement.
AMA Triangle’s job board currently shows 91 marketing jobs in Raleigh, 40 results in Durham and 32 results in Chapel Hill (with the 25-mile radius filter).
Pharma giant Merck & Co. added several jobs across the Triangle area last week, including associate directors of oncology consumer marketing, associate directors of oncology marketing in long-term portfolio strategy, and associate directors of integrated customer engagement.
Durham-based startup hub American Underground regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by job function, location, company, industry and job title. The site currently shows 194 jobs at 30 companies.
Several jobs were posted in the last week:
- Durham-based venture capital firm Bull City Venture Partners is hiring a chief of staff and an investment associate.
- Crossrope, a fitness tech startup in Raleigh, is looking to hire a senior accountant.
- Direct Supply, a health care equipment and services provider, seeks a remote district manager of building services.
- Insurtech startup Policygenius is hiring an on-page SEO analyst in Durham and a remote senior data engineer specializing in data architecture.
- Health care firm Aledade seeks a CMA/RMA or CNA II in Morrisville.
- Digital consultancy Pathos Ethos is hiring two sales development representatives in Durham.
Earlier this year, WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing — one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people.
So far this year, North Carolina has welcomed 15 expansion announcements from life science firms, corresponding to $2.9 billion in investment and more than 2,600 jobs.
Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000.
Thousands of biomanufacturing jobs are coming – NC colleges, universities roll out programs to train workers
Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
Many biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, Pfizer in Sanford, and many more.
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. Users can filter by job category, employment type (full-time, part-time and contractor), keywords, postal code and radius.
NCBiotech also touts jobs through its Bio Jobs Hub program.
Over the last week (since July 19), over two dozen new jobs were added to NCBiotech’s board, including:
- GMP project manager and postdoctoral associate at the Duke Human Vaccine Institute in Durham
- Scientist/senior scientist in AAV/delivery technologies, principal scientist/senior scientist of in vivo pharmacology and associate director/director or program and alliance management at Life Edit Therapeutics in RTP
- Director of sales and marketing at Eva Garland Consulting in Raleigh
- Research scientist of in vivo pharmacology at Heat Biologics in Morrisville
- Procurement project coordinator specialist and production associate specializing in cell-based therapies at CoImmune in Durham
- Senior scientist specializing in protein/genetic engineering at Mucommune in Durham
- Cell and molecular biology technician and imaging and histology technician at Powered Research in Durham
- Senior product design engineer at NIRSense in Raleigh
- Pharma giant Merck & Co. posted many new jobs at its Triangle locations:
- Lead maintenance technician
- ICS/OT security operations lead
- Associate director of integrated customer engagement in U.S. oncology marketing
- Associate director of U.S. oncology digital engagement and channel strategy
- Associate director of U.S. oncology marketing in long-term portfolio strategy
- Lead, senior and associate technicians
- Maintenance technicians
- Associate director of environmental, health and safety programs
- Operations manager and senior and associate operations technicians
- Senior warehouse technician
- Senior specialist in business/technical analysis
- Senior engineering specialists
- Associate director of U.S. oncology-consumer marketing
- Associate director of biocontainment
- Associate operations technician and associate operations technician
- Senior specialist in external quality assurance
- Associate director of global vaccines regulatory CMC
- LATAM regional labeling liaison
- Associate director of diabetes field execution
- Senior technician in heating, ventilation and air conditioning
- Associate director of engineering in drug substance technical operations
- Director of global quality management systems
- Senior medical writer
- Local recruiting firm Frankel Staffing Partners posted a few jobs for its clients:
- Contracts coordinator/executive assistant at an RTP-area pharmaceutical firm
- Scientific account manager at a global pharmaceutical contract manufacturer in RTP
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (contract, full-time, part-time or temp to full-time), experience and education level.
A few local jobs were posted last week:
- Supply chain software developer Optricity Corporation is hiring a product marketing specialist and a technical solutions business development representative in Durham.
- Edtech company Curriculum Associates is looking for a software engineering manager in Raleigh.
- Consulting firm MAXX Potential seeks a technology apprentice in Durham.
NCWorks, the statewide job search portal run by the North Carolina Department of Commerce, has nearly 100 career centers located across the state. Users can filter NCWorks’ database by keyword, location, occupation group or specific occupations, minimum acceptable salary, education level, job sources and date posted. NCWorks also has a mobile app on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
The NCWorks website contains a COVID-19 job board that lists companies hiring to fill immediate technical and healthcare needs in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
North Carolina military veterans, transitioning service members and spouses can find additional resources on NCWorks’ separate veterans portal.
NCWorks reports thousands of available positions. More than 5,130 people added or updated their resumes at the site in the past week, as of Sunday afternoon.
Here are the top 10 Wake County-based employers with the most job openings:
- Wake County Public School System (3,705 jobs)
- WakeMed Health and Hospitals (1,350)
- UNC Health Care System (1,045)
- NC State University (823)
- Deloitte (589)
- UNC Rockingham Health Care (513)
- Facebook (473)
- Pharmaceutical Research Associates International (438)
- McDonald’s Corporation (429)
- Accenture (423)
Here are the top companies/organizations by job openings in Durham County:
- Duke University (1,478)
- IBM (1,331)
- IQVIA (593)
- Duke University and Duke University Health System (461)
- Fidelity Investments (340)
- Durham Public Schools (309)
- BAYADA Home Health Care (254)
- Laboratory Corporation of America (237)
- KBI Biopharma (192)
- Cree Wolfspeed (186)
And here are the top employers in Orange County:
- UNC Health Care System (1,091)
- UNC Chapel Hill (599)
- UNC Rockingham Health Care (546)
- Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools (319)
- ARAMARK Corporation (119)
- Orange County Schools (82)
- Hyatt Hotels Corporation (77)
- AHS NurseStat (65)
- McDonald’s Corporation (46)
- Food Lion (39)
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, has its own job board. Job seekers can filter results by company, company size or industry.
The site currently lists 163 positions at 28 companies, as of July 25.
Several new jobs were added over the past week:
- Raleigh startup Pendo added listings for a platform engineering manager, a data engineer, a front end engineer, a senior front end engineer, a strategy consulting practice manager, an escalation engineer, a professional services project coordinator and a security operations engineer.
- Veeva Systems, a cloud software provider, is hiring an implementation consultant and senior software engineer in Raleigh and two remote clinical operations consultants.
- Digital consultancy Pathos Ethos is looking to add two sales development representatives to its team in Durham.
This isn’t a job board per se, but the Research Triangle Cleantech Cluster’s list of job search sources is a helpful resource for job seekers in the clean energy sector. The list has links to career opportunities from the organization’s members and partners.
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, shares new openings daily through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC.
Every Tuesday, Work in the Triangle’s #TriangleTuesdays hashtag lists dozens of hot jobs.
Posts from last Tuesday (July 20) included openings from:
Scroll through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter for more details on the openings.
New Jobs at CureMint
American Underground-based CureMint, a startup with a procurement software platform for dental organizations, tells TechWire it is looking to add new talent to its team. It has openings for several positions:
- Senior full stack software engineer
- Mid level full stack software engineer
- Senior product manager
- UX designer
- Senior UX designer
- Product manager
New Jobs at Terra Dotta
Chapel Hill-based edtech company Terra Dotta tells TechWire it’s looking to fill several jobs across its product development, sales, support, finance and accounting teams.
Open positions include senior software engineer, junior software engineer, software architect and product owner. Interested job seekers can read more and apply here.
The company’s CEO, Anthony Rotoli, cited the return of international travel and new developments in the education technology industry as reasons to ramp up hiring.
“We remained conservative with hiring during the pandemic, but we’ve had tremendous growth and are now expanding our team in the Triangle area and beyond to deliver on the increasing interest in global engagement opportunities and the technology to support it – both with travel resuming and with the evolution of new ways to deliver international education experiences virtually and on college campuses,” Rotoli stated.
Jobs fairs in coming weeks look to match Triangle workers, companies
Job Resources for Local Students
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
Twitter Accounts to Follow
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle: